Monday, July 26, 2010

FreeBSD 7.3 and Apache22 with gnome2!

Another past-time is to use FreeBSD. What makes it different to Linux package XYZ?
Simple - things are synced together really well. I have found it's relatively rare to have problems installing ports (other than for major updates of Gnome, anyway!) and I have never had to recompile a kernel to include dodgy-patch ZYX to make something work.

Of course, this could have more to do with me not being very adventurous, or perhaps just sticking with what works.

So rebuilding a FreeBSD 7.3 installation and I come across a few problems. For once in my life I decided to use packages rather than building from ports, but my local service provider doesn't mirror the packages and I'm a bit thick on how to set them up properly, so I fall back to using ports again (and wasting days compiling everything from scratch... oh well!).

But then I have an issue with apache22 under a gnome2 compilation.

>> APR - flags for APR not found

Had a lot of difficulty tracking this one down, some say it's an out of sync ports system. Eventually I found recompiling devel/apr1 worked for me.

Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment